04 January 2012

Archives and TS-430S


Last year I bought an old transceiver, the Kenwood TS-430S, to be used in the shack at my No. 2 QTH in northern Sweden. For some time I have tried to find an advertisement for it from that time when the radio was new on the market.  Then I was informed that 73 Magazine could be found at Internet Archive. 73 Magazine was published for more than 40 years, from 1960 to 2003. I tried to download the 1984 December issue and there the advertisement was. I also read in it the regular Never Say Die editorial by the the famous Wayne Green, W9NSD/1. The editorial was about the death of amateur radio. A popular concept to write about over the years. Luckily this has still not happen. Today there is an all time high population in the U.S., 700,000 hams!


This old TS-430S radio works great. Below is a video clip when recently listening on 80 m on a pile-up for Pat, K6AAX/VY2 on Prince Edward island in Canada. I managed to work him using the TS-430S and a G5RV antenna hanging only 2.5 m above the ground. I have never before heard such strong signals from the other side of the Atlantic on that band.



I have a little archive in my iPad 2. The free iBooks app is a great tool for archiving and reading books, documents etc. . Below is a screen dump from part of my pdf archive using iBooks.

.

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Nice video Kjell,I expierienced this radio several days at a field day a few years ago and liked it a lot. Indeed strong signals from the other side of the ocean, its not very often you hear that although propagation is there. 73, Bas

Kjell Bergqvist, SM0FOB said...

Mni thanks for your comment Bas. I am impressed how robust this old station is and how good it is to tweak out signals from a noisy environment

APRS - LIVE MAP

You can see where I and some other radio amateurs are driving or are located for the moment. Get the live map from aprs.fi or click on a link below (maximum 300 stations per search are shown)

SM0FOB Kjell SM0XDO Petri SM7EQX Leif SM-stations SA-stations SK-stations OH-stations OZ-stations LA-stations

How this system works is explained here

The live map below is showing my fixed position or my car´s position, speed, direction and height a. s. l.